Forklift Battery Maintenance Tips
On average, forklifts are at fault for 1% of accidents that occur in warehouses and factories. Making sure that your forklift equipment is safe and operational is crucial in the overall health and wellness not only of the forklifts themselves but in the people operating them. Looking for a company to handle the maintenance of warehouse forklift equipment and educating a forklift operator should be a simple and smooth process. But how do you know what to look for? How should your forklift normally operate so you know what your company’s needs are? Here are some basics for equipment specialists when it comes to operating a forklift as well as parts replacement.
– Forklift operators must be trained and authorized, a process that requires renewal every three years. Operating forklifts should only be done by individuals who have been trained properly and contain a licence to operate the equipment.
– Appropriate clothing must be worn, usually consisting of a hard hat, safety shoes and high-visibility jackets. The work wear must be reasonably fitted as any loose clothing can get caught on machinery.
– The operator should not start the forklift until they are correctly seated with their safety belt fastened and all parts of their body are safely inside the confines of the operators cabin or the forklift.
– Operating a forklift requires that you must pay attention and follow any work site rules and guidelines. The forklift operator must only drive the equipment in the machinery’s designated roadways.
– The maximum speed of a forklift is eight miles per hour. Never go faster than the recommended speed, and use caution around turns and in areas where others may be working. (In pedestrian heavy areas, a forklift shouldn’t travel faster than three miles per hour).
– Check the loads carefully before moving them for stability and damage. Make sure loads are correctly stacked and positioned across both forks. Do not lift or move loads that are not safe or stable.
– Most common forklifts can carry weight between one and five tons. Heavy duty forklifts can bear loads of up to 50 tons. Do not overload the forklift. It could not only fault the tires but also tip over.
– Forklift operators should do a routine check of the equipment before driving them. Modern forklifts are powered in five ways: electricity, diesel, gasoline, propane, and battery. Whichever powering method is used, check that there is an adequate power supply available before starting the forklift.
– Occasionally, problems occur that are not at the fault of the forklift operator. Some things you should check for any faults are brakes, steering, controls, warning devices, mast and tires. If there are any noted damages or problems management should be notified and the forklift should not be operated if it needs to be repaired.
Injuries caused by forklifts unfortunately constitute 10% of all injuries that happen in warehouses and factories. Many companies that operate warehouses and are looking for a great company to handle the maintenance of their warehouse forklift equipment. For the best forklift repair services in New Jersey and Pennsylvania, find the equipment expertise you need to keep your business going strong and accident free.