Are You Looking for a Job Helping Humanity?
Finding the right job or career can be life-changing, especially once you find a position that is genuinely fulfilling. If you’re seeking a job that is ideal for helping humanity, there are plenty of roles to consider. The right job helping humanity will not only provide you with an opportunity to put your skills to use, but it will also offer you invaluable experiences that are rewarding beyond your wildest imagination.
What is a Job Helping Humanity?
A job helping humanity may be any position that provides an opportunity to give back or offer something of value to others. This may include teaching a new skill, building a home for someone who is homeless, or even providing medical services for the underprivileged.
Advantages of Working in a Job That Gives Back
Giving back to the community with a job helping humanity provides numerous advantages, from societal benefits to future potential opportunities. Some of the most notable advantages of a job helping humanity include:
- Fulfillment: If you’re seeking purpose in life, finding a job helping humanity may be the key to your success. Jobs that allow you to give back can be extremely fulfilling, helping you to feel more excited about going to work each day.
- Teaching and learning opportunities: Most often, rewarding positions offer opportunities to teach others while learning from those around you at all times.
- Connection: Working in a position that allows you to give back is rewarding as it’s possible to make connections with those in your local community who need help most.
- Long-term opportunities: Giving back and committing yourself to a noble profession typically results in long-term opportunities, both in career settings and for those interested in volunteering.
Work as an Addiction Counselor
Addiction counselors or addiction doctors provide necessary assistance for those in need. If you are thinking of a career that allows you to give back, consider going into the field of addiction disorders. As an addiction counselor or doctor, you will have the opportunity to connect with and assist those who are working to overcome drug and alcohol addictions.
Work in Assisted Living
Working in assisted living is another way to help individuals who require physical or mental assistance with everyday tasks. When working as an assisted living professional, you’ll have the opportunity to work with the mentally and physically disabled as well as with the elderly.
If you choose a career in assisted living, you will be responsible for helping clients with getting dressed, bathing, preparing meals, and taking medication. You may also need to go for walks with clients, drive them to doctor’s appointments, and help complete tasks around the house. As someone working in assisted living, it’s important to have patients, compassion, and a genuine passion for helping those in need.
Work as a Doctor or Dentist
One of the most popular professions around the world that is known for giving back includes doctors and dentists. Whether you choose to become a specialist, such as an optometrist, an animal doctor, or a chiropractic doctor, working in the medical field provides ample opportunity to give back to those in need with your own useful skills and abilities.
Becoming a doctor or a dentist of any kind is not an overnight process. Along with passion and commitment, you will also need to dedicate years to university as well as medical school, depending on your respective career choice. In most cases, becoming a medical doctor or professional will require the following steps:
- Acquire a Bachelor’s Degree: Earning a bachelor’s degree is the first step towards becoming a medical doctor or professional.
- Pass the MCAT: For those working towards becoming a doctor, passing the MCAT, or the Medical College Admission Test is required.
- Apply to and enroll in a medical school: Complete the necessary training by enrolling in a medical school of your choice.
- Pass the USMLE: Those working towards becoming a doctor will need to pass both parts of the USMLE, or the United States Medical Licensing Examination
- Select a specialty: When working as a medical doctor, you will need to choose your specialty program. Once you have a program, you will need to choose a residency program that is right for you.
- Pass final USMLE exams: After completing a residency, you will then need to pass part 3 of the USMLE exam in order to obtain your medical license.
Work as a Lawyer
Another way to give back to those in need of a job helping humanity is to become a lawyer. When you think of being a lawyer, you may not immediately think of the position as altruistic or community-centric. However, working as a pro-bono lawyer for those in need or as an injury lawyer for those who have been disabled due to an accident are both routes to give back as a legal professional.
Becoming a legal professional will require you to earn a bachelor’s degree followed by passing either the LSAT or GRE tests. You will also need to apply for and complete law school, which requires complete commitment and dedication from those interested in upholding the law.
Earning your licensure and passing the bar exam is also necessary in order to begin working as a lawyer of any kind and representing clients. The mental fitness and character requirements must also be met for all individuals who are interested in pursuing representing the law as a professional. Once you have earned your licensure, passed the bar, and met all character and professional requirements, you will then take your oath to begin practicing law.
Working as a lawyer who is focused on giving back to the community is possible by:
- Taking on pro-bono cases: Taking on cases pro-bono means not charging clients to represent them. This can help with getting justice for those who are otherwise unable to obtain legal representation.
- Work on contingencies: Another way to give back is to take cases based on contingencies. This will allow you to provide legal services for others while only requiring a set amount or a certain percentage of any amount awarded to your client.
- Representing cause-centric cases: If you are focused on a particular area of law, you can help with making waves and major moves in certain sects. From environmental law to representing the homeless, there are many cause-centric cases to consider taking on once you are a legal professional. You can also work as a family lawyer if you are interested in assisting those interested in adoption, divorce, and other family-related matters.
Work as a Church Minister
If you are on a spiritual path and want to connect your future career with your spiritual journey, consider working as a church youth minister or as a church minister for a local place of worship. Opening your own church youth ministry or working with an existing ministry is a great way to connect with the local community while also connecting your faith and spirituality with your career.
When you choose a career in youth ministry, consider the age range of the youth you intend to reach. Are you interested in communicating with kids, teenagers, or even young adults? Are you looking to connect with the youth who are already connected with the church, or are you searching for ways to connect with those who are currently unchurched?
Define the goals you have for your youth ministry and whether or not you intend to connect your goals with other local churches and places of worship near you. Are you thinking of partnering with additional ministries near you to broaden your reach? What messages do you intend to share and what goals do you have for your ministry itself? This will help to guide and connect you with the right professionals along the way.
Advantages of Working in the Church
If you choose to go the route of working in the church, you can take advantage of the following:
- Connections with locals: Working in a church or developing your own youth ministry is one of the fastest ways to make connections with members of your local community.
- Spread the gospel: Depending on your religion and beliefs, you can also help spread the message of your religion by working in a church to give back.
- Meet like-minded individuals: Whether you’re feeling lonely or without connection in your community, finding a church with like-minded individuals can be extremely rewarding, mentally and emotionally.
Work as a General Contractor
If you’re someone who is looking for more freedom when it comes to time and work schedules, consider working as a general contractor. Working as a general contractor is not only liberating when it comes to choosing the type of work you take on, but it also provides ample opportunity to give back.
When you choose to work as a contractor, you will need to obtain the proper licensing and insurance to do so, even if you are working independently. This will protect you and any client you take on from legal and financial liability. When you work as a general contractor, you can offer a range of services, such as:
- Schedule management: General contractors are typically well-versed in managing the schedule of construction projects from start to finish
- Role management: In addition to managing the timeline of construction projects, general contractors are also responsible for managing others’ roles while on the job.
- Hiring additional subcontractors: Whenever necessary, general contractors are also responsible for hiring additional subcontractors to assist in completing a job.
- Renting equipment: If the renting and licensing of equipment are necessary, general contractors are available to get the job done right.
- Working with vendors and suppliers: General contractors are familiar with working with suppliers and vendors for individual construction jobs they accept and take on.
- Field labor and management: Overseeing labor and managing the direction of other contractors is often necessary as a general contractor.
- Following safety protocols: General contractors are required to abide by safety protocols while ensuring they are followed by all others who are working on-site.
- Development of cleanup and demolition policies: As a general contractor, you will also work to create a working cleanup and demolition policy that is appropriate for each project.
If you choose to work as an independent general contractor, you can do so by setting your own rates and accepting clients and jobs as you see fit. When working independently, you choose which clients to assist and which to provide discounts to, based on their needs and current situation.
Become a Teacher
Becoming a teacher is one of the world’s oldest and most respected professions. Whether you choose to become an official teacher in the public school system or if you want to teach others a skill using the internet, there are many ways you can offer your knowledge to the world today. If you are thinking of working as a teacher in an official and professional capacity, you will need to obtain a bachelor’s or a master’s degree while also completing various teaching exams and presentations. However, if you are thinking of teaching others by writing a book, creating a blog, or even sharing videos online, keep the following in mind when getting started:
- Topics: What will you be teaching others? What topics are you most likely to cover in your teachings? What message(s) are you trying to convey? What is your purpose for going into teaching? How do you want to impact the world and how do you intend to give back as a teacher?
- Audience: Who is it that you intend to reach with your teaching? What methods are best for reaching the audience you want to connect with? Is it best to teach in person or to create a digital persona in order to reach your target demographics?
- Skills, education, and experience: What skills, education, and experience do you bring to your audience? How are you unique and what sets you apart from other teachers who are in a similar industry or realm as you? How can you differentiate your teachings from the teachings of others?
Choosing a career that is focused on helping humanity is rewarding in many different respects. Whether you’re searching for personal internal growth or opportunities to explore all that life has to offer, a job centered around helping humanity is a great place to begin.